- Common trade name(s) 常見牌子 : Apo-Fluoxetine, Prozac
- Usage：Antidepressant, treats moderate to severe major depression episodes, obsessive compulsive disorder, bulimia, and premenstrual syndrome (PMS)
Fluoxetine is a type of antidepressant known as SSRI (Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor). It helps people to recover from depression, increases the feeling of happiness. It may react with other drugs causing unwanted effects. If you abruptly stop taking fluoxetine, it may worsen the conditions.
Common side effects
Insomnia, tremor, dry mouth, nervousness
- Do not stop taking your medicine unless your doctor tells you to. Abruptly stopping your medicine may cause your original symptoms to worsen. If you need to stop medication, speak to your doctor.
- Some medicines and fluoxetine can interfere with each other. If you are taking other medications / herbal medicine / Chinese medicine/ supplements, please talk to your doctor or pharmacist.
- Do not drive until you confirm the side effects of this drug does not affect your driving ability
Who Cannot Take
- People who have taken MAOI within 14 days
- People who are concurrently taking pimozide or thioridazine
Cautions with Other Medicines/Food
- Serotonergic agents e.g. phenelzine, tranylcypromine, moclobemide, citalopram, escitalopram, fentanyl, fluvoxamine
- Tamoxifen (treats breast cancer)
- Clopidogrel (antiplatelet)
- Clozapine (antipsychotic)
- Amitriptyline (antidepressant)
- Etoricoxib (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug)
Pregnancy and breastfeeding
Do not stop suddenly if you become pregnant during the course of taking medication, seek advice from your doctor.
Category C: Either studies in animals have revealed adverse effects on the foetus (teratogenic or embryocidal or other) and there are no controlled studies in women or studies in women and animals are not available. Drugs should be given only if the potential benefit justifies the potential risk to the foetus.
Drug labels and icons
- 口服 Take orally
- 不要擅自停藥 Do not stop taking this medicine suddenly unless advised
- 早上服用 Take in the morning